Red Flags to Look Out for with Your PR Agency15th December 2022 / All, Blog
Finding the right PR agency for you is not always smooth sailing, and there can be some trial and error. If you’re reading this post, it’s likely that you’re starting to have doubts about whether your current agency is the right match for you.
You may be early on in a PR agency relationship, or maybe you have a long-standing relationship with an agency who you’ve worked with for many years. You’re coming out of the honeymoon period or starting to notice that things don’t feel quite right. Perhaps you feel neglected as a client.
Well, you shouldn’t have to put up with that feeling. You need an agency that will deliver results of real value to you and help you achieve your big-picture goals. Working with an agency that understands you really does make a difference, not only to your happiness but to your results.
In my 20+ years as a PR practitioner, I experienced it from both sides. Before founding Nellie PR, I was the client. I appointed and managed a number of PR agencies, and I learned about the red flags to look out for. Here are some to keep in mind:
Red flags and signs that you’re being neglected by your PR agency
- You’re constantly having to chase them for updates: where they are on things, what results they’re getting, and lack of a timetable to keep you all on track
- There’s a notable lack of results. Strategic PR is sometimes a long game, but you really should be seeing something from your investment, even in the early stages
- You notice that your competitors are taking part in opportunities that you should have been included in, but keep missing out on
- You’re always sending ideas over to the agency, not the other way around
- People keep changing, and there’s a new person in charge of your account; one who hasn’t taken the time to get up to speed or get to know you and the business
- They say ‘yes’ to everything, rather than challenging you and providing an alternative view.
Any one of these red flags could be a sign that your agency relationship has broken down. Perhaps there’s fault on both sides, or it could be that you’re simply mismatched for one another, or the PR agency just isn’t very good.
Don’t ignore the red flags. Take action and give me a call. I’ll be happy to talk through with you your concerns and provide advice on how to get back on track or how best to appoint a new PR agency.
What should I do if I’m seeing red flags?
Remember, you don’t need to stay put.
Too many businesses will stick with PR agencies that are offering them little-to-no value, but a great agency is out there, and they will make all the difference.
At Nellie PR, we pride ourselves in the way we work, and the value we bring to clients. Not only do we plan and deliver strategic PR and Comms for our clients, but we also offer strategy development and B2B copywriting & content creation services.
If you’re looking to make a change and want a new perspective, don’t hesitate to get in touch today for a no-strings-attached consultation. Either book a call with me, or visit our contact page for more ways to get in touch.
If you still have questions, such as how to measure the value of PR or how to land high-profile coverage, you may want to check out our PR Q&A page where you’ll find lots of answers to our most frequently asked questions. Check out our blog page, where you’ll find helpful resources like: How to Write A PR Brief, and How to Measure the Value of PR.
To find out more about Nellie PR and how we’ve distinguished ourselves from the rest, take a look at this 15 Years of Nellie PR interview. In it, I talk about the idea behind our virtual agency, who we love to work with, and the different ways that we do business.