Here’s our round-up of the top SME journalists in UK TV and Radio to follow on Twitter, including our favourite BBC journalists covering SME business stories.
The BBC run daily business sectors on their news programmes, as well as the daily broadcast of Business Live which focuses solely on business news. BBC journalists tend to focus on national business trends, but several also provide relevant SME content.
Ben Thompson: Presenter and correspondent, BBC News @BBCBenThompson
- Ben presents on Breakfast as well as co-hosting Business Live, the BBC’s daily business programme broadcast around the world.
Rebecca Wearn: Business Reporter, BBC Breakfast @RebeccaWearn
- Rebecca Wearn, a BBC journalist, also keeps herself busy with independent projects in developing countries as well as writing for the homeless charity newspaper, The Pavement.
Simon Jack: Business editor, BBC News @BBCSimonJack
- Simon Jack blogs for the BBC about how broad business issues impact our lives, jobs, the economy and personal finances.
Dougal Shaw: Senior Video Journalist & creator of CEO Secrets @dougalshawBBC
- Dougal Shaw uses his twitter to share useful content from the BBC and other top tips such as great smartphone video tips. Shaw also runs #CEOsecrets, a great collection of short interviews with the UK’s top CEOs. For tips on how to pitch to him see this Twitter post which outlines what the BBC (and Shaw) are looking for.
Will Smale: Editor of BBC News Entrepreneur Segment @WillSmale1
- Will Smale edits the BBC News Website’s entrepreneurship features including The Boss profile slot, and the Business Brain series. Writer and editor on the business features desk of the BBC News Website – New Tech Economy and New Economy.
Lora Jones: Business reporter @LoraElwen
- Lora is a Reporter for the BBC News website, focussing on business and economics developments.
Colletta Smith: Consumer Affairs Correspondent @collettasmith
- Consumer Affairs Correspondent for the BBC. Previously 5 Live Businesses news presenter. Hosting Wake Up To Money.
Although ITV does not run a separate business news programme, similar to the BBC, they air specific business news segments in their broadcasts. The ITV business segment largely consists of explaining overarching business trends through specific case studies, and therefore often explains how economic and political shifts can affect small businesses or a local area.
Joel Hills: Business editor @ITVJoel
- Joel Hill leads all business coverage and in-depth analysis of the latest business stories on the agenda from the UK and around the world at ITV news.
Channel 4 News
Like most other news channels, Channel 4 holds a business news segment in their broadcasts. Covering national business news to specific sections and regions, it’s a great medium to keep up with the latest trends and information.
Jackie Long: Social affairs editor and presenter @JackieLongc4
- Jackie Long reports on social affairs relating to business and economy.
Paul McNamara: Business and Global Trade Correspondent @PGMcNamara
- Paul McNamara is the Business and Global Trade Correspondent for Channel 4 News, reporting on the UK’s changing relationship with the world.
Helia Ebrahimi: Economics correspondent @heliaebrahimi
- Channel 4 News’ Economics Correspondent Helia Ebrahimi reports on the big changes in the economy and the public finances – and how they influence the world we live in.
Siobhan Kennedy: Business Editor Washington Correspondent @siobhankennedy4
- Siobhan Kennedy covers daily news in the business/economics unit for Channel 4 News, both UK stories and USA. She also judges The Small Awards celebrating great SMEs around Britain- find out more about the awards here.
Sky News is another great source for business news. Due to the longer length of the programme in comparison to that of Channel 4 or ITV News, the business segment is larger and offers great content for businesses in general -and SMEs in particular. @SkyNewsBiz
Ian King: Business presenter, Sky News @IanKingSky
- Ian King fronts Sky News’ daily business programme Ian King Live (@SkyIanKingLive) and is the lead voice in Sky’s business coverage, seeing Ian interview the biggest names in business, finance and economics. King also works as a business columnist for the Times.
Mark Kleinman Sky News City Editor @MarkKleinmanSky
- Mark Kleinman is city editor, breaking major business stories and analysing what they mean for the financial sector. Kleinman has interviewed many of Britain’s important business figures including the CEO of Tesco. His tweets inform you about large changes in various business sectors.
John-Paul Ford Rojas: Business reporter @JPFordRojas
- John-Paul is a business news reporter covering a range of national and international business stories. He has worked at Sky News since 2015, reporting on everything from BHS and Brexit to the Bank of England.
Paul Kelso: Business correspondent @pkelso
- Paul is a business correspondent covering UK and international business stories.
Reuters is a business and finance news platform. Recently, Reuters TV (@ReutersTV) has launched a video news iOS and Android app which lets you watch live business news on your phone, tablet, or on their website here.
Axel Threlfall: Editor @axelthrelfall
- As an editor of Reuters TV, Axel Threlfall is a great source of business news, tweeting his own and well as his colleagues content.
Alexander Smith: Specialist Editor @alexsmitheditor
- Similarly, as a London-based editor specilaiting in Financial and Business news, Alexander Smith produce good business content on general trends as well as specific industries and case studies.
BBC Radio 4
- Dominic O’Connell often presents on In Business as well as Radio 4 News. Previously business Editor of The Sunday Times,
Katie Prescott: Business Producer/Presenter, BBC Radio 4 Today @kprescott
- Katie Prescott does not solely focus on business news but she uses her twitter as a great way to share useful business related articles from a wide range of publications, creating a great diverse feed.
Matthew Gwyther: In Business Presenter, BBC Radio 4 Today @MatthewGwyther
- Ex-editor of Management Today and five time BSME Business Magazine Editor of the year, Matthew Gwyther now presents Radio 4’s In Business.
BBC Radio 5
Just like BBC Radio 4, Radio 5 offers a great business news programme, Wake up to Money, where the journalists provide ‘news and views’ on the latest issues and trends in business.
Sean Farrington: Presenter, BBC Radio 5 Live and BBC Breakfast @seanfarrington
- Sean Farrington, co-hosts Wake up to Money alongside his work as a business presenter on BBC Breakfast.
We endeavour to keep this list up to date with the correct information, however, if you spot any outdated information please let us know.
If you’re interested in getting coverage in the press or want advice on how best to pitch a story to secure coverage, check out my Pitch Craft media pitching training.