I don’t believe in New Year resolutions – business revolutions are more my thing and at any time of the year. It just so happens that the best time of the year for me is now. Why?
The Power of Time Off
I’ve taken some time out thanks to maternity leave and have come back with a renewed passion and excitement for my business, for me and the people I work with and the work that I do. The sun is shining (right now) and Nellie PR will be celebrating its 10th year anniversary next year so I’m giving myself a rare pat on the back for getting this far and writing down my New Year business revolutions.
And, with all revolutions, I’m breaking the rules – not setting specifics goals – I’m just writing my wishlist down to keep me on track. Here goes – these are the changes I want to make.
The Business Wishlist
- Write, just write more. I’d forgotten the joy in writing, writing for yourself, for and about your own business and sharing your knowledge. My goal is to write (at least) a weekly blog post providing PR tips and advice, and share the ups and downs of my business as I grow. I also want to set up my own personal blog
- Become Watertight. A few years ago I was on the first cohort of the Watertight Marketing masterclass aimed at putting a watertight marketing plan into action to grow your business. It took me a while to get going but I’m finally on it. I’m fixing my leaks, finished my marketing plan and back out there, marketing again, growing my business
- A new name. Nellie PR was named after my mum. Not the rapper, not the singer and most certainly not the elephant. Whilst I don’t think it has lost me business, I don’t think has done me any favours either and doesn’t really reflect what I do
- Buy some great stationery, organiser and a pen. I going to buy this bright pink Filofax. The Filofax is Made in England so I can support our manufacturing industry while at the same time indulging in my love for a to do list, pretty paper and the magic of good-looking stationery. I’ve also got my eye out on a new fountain pen. I’m really fussy on the pen front so this could take a while, but I’m going to make a conscious effort to write down my ideas. A decent office chair (good on the old back) is also on my shopping list and being brave enough to take my fitball with me when I’m hot-desking
- Get a view. I ditched the office a while ago. It is amazing what a difference a great space can do to motivate and inspire you to produce better work and be more creative. I want to seek out more creative places to work like Unit Seven with its fabulous harbour view, and sort out a new home office
- Exercise more. This business girl can and will commit to exercising more, at least three times a week. Not only is it good for my health and figure, it also makes great business sense. You’ll be surprised how many ideas you come up in while busting your aqua fit moves to the Ace of Spades
- Sort out my image. When I look at the Nellie PR website I shudder – it doesn’t reflect what we do and doesn’t look good. I’m building a new brand. A new website is just one part of it and you’ll be getting a sneak preview soon. When you look good, you feel good, and I’m definitely going to sort out great images to go with my blog posts
- Offer more. I’ve been asked time and time again to provide training, to run workshops, to help businesses and business people do their own PR. No more excuses, I’ve got out there and been doing it, and I’m busy working on a range of PR and content workshops. Hope to tell you about these very soon
- Don’t do it alone. I’ve expanded and taken on a small team of content writers and a PR consultant, and looking for more talent to join our team. I want to collaborate, share and get out more, build a stronger network and start up my own regular event
- Stop waiting for the right time. In making these revolutions, I realised it doesn’t have to be perfect and I don’t have to wait until everything is ready. Just writing my wishlist is enough, enough to start doing, to start making changes
- Take time out, regularly…
How about You?
Over to you – are you making changes, setting up new business goals? Don’t wait till the New Year – I would love to hear from you right now. Come on drop me a line, tweet me a tweet, pick up the phone, and share your New Year revolutions with me.